Backed up files for computer i dont have any more...how do i check the files or free up space?

I have about 34 hard drives of different shapes sizes and brands. Most of which are WD externals.

I have some that havee back ups on them from 2011 and i dont have that computer anymore. I am going deep into the structure and i find files lots of them 731 GB’s worth.

Is there an easy way to look at these and either move them or delete them?

Last night i backed up ( with newest version of smart ware ) a laptop i have had for a while thinking that it might be part of the 731 GB’s…nope it used 171 GB’s annd created a new file.

I also had used a deduplicator software on the computer…and messed with files within those long coded files.

Then i read the “read me” this morning that says dont mess with the files

I know i screwed up and wonder if there is a way to do this without digging deep though all of those long coded files

or is it a lost cause?

I am new nere and thanks for ANY help!

Shasta

Hi Shastasage, welcome to the WD Community. You can manually explore the Smartware backup folder (smartware.swstor) to view all your files, you can manually move of delete them from there. 

Hello,

Thanks for your response!

To be clear…i have to open the drive it is on…then open the smartware folder…and keep clicking on the long character files / folders until i see something recognizable?   For all files?

Is there an easier way to view them like when i open documents or downloads on my computer?

Or am i missing something you are saying? Like i said i am new to this:-)

Thanks

Shasta

If you want you can use the Windows search bar to explore for spesific file types, you will also notice that the folders have the same names they used to have on your computer, so you should be able to navigate them fine. 

yes that could work because most of the files are video, audio from editing

so the search will reach through the back up files to the original file name?

Big question that will make me happy if possible…can  i move then move the file from the search box to another folder? on the same drive?

Thanks again!

PS  Do i hit the kudos bar each time you answer or just at the end?