4 tb my book can I partiton?

New my book WD 4 TB on Windows 7 (Model: WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN)

*go to bottom

Hi, I want to format and partiton.  Can I use  any software to format or should I use what’s on the my book?   I’ve read about not using mbr and using g somethin else.  Is the managing of windows seeing my book 4 tb in the firmware (off the my book)?  Is there a link that explains? I searched but came up dry. I want to use as backup only

Tia  Moocha

PS, this unit is installed and working fine…got it today

can this drive be treated just like any other drive…I’m reading your knowledgebase on using windows disk management

Will I need to reintialize?

*Been reading knowledge base and it seems complicated…what if I keep all the stuff on the drive that wd gives and I want to make 3 or 4 partitions? and yes, I should save ses driver and install after partiton.

Hi moocha, you are open to use any program you want to format the My Book. Below you can check the steps on how to do it on Mac/Windows.

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX

So it is no different than any other hard drive.  “WD provided software for GPT formatting”  and other instructions are confusing and I will take your advice and do as you suggest.  I have no need for anything on the hard drive, can format and partiton with windows manger and volla!   I am off to do this today.   But of course will partition in GPT style for this larger HD.

Thanks very much for your quick response here on this very friendly board…I will get back.

On Win 7 no service pack WD 4 TB ext usb: OK nightmare is back. What should have been said is do not create a single volume in windows management and just format and partition because now I have two areas that cannot be connected: one 2048 and the other 1678. Dead in the water. The 1678 one cannot even be used. Format style choice was not presented as I couldn’t get that far.

Did the same thing on my brand new 4TB Elements. I did fix it.

I downloaded WDSmartWare_PP4R2_1_4_1_2.zip and within that was WD Quick Formatter.exe and it worked wonderfully,

I deleted the partition in windoes disk manager so I had the two rectangles showing that would only let me make one small partition and waste the rest of the space. Running the WD Quick Formatter let me format the drive baack to default which made a 4TB NTFS partition and then in disk manager you can rename it and format it exFat if you want keeping the full 4TB.

Now you just have to find the software on the WD site to download.

Yeah I meant more than one partition…I talked to support and they basically implied for stability only one partition.  That makes this drive unusual…very unusual.  I think its on quick format or something like that they even say one partition only if you use that tool (for stability?)…Thanks 4 getting back…  If they said this in beginning they would lose some sales.

I have 3 other my book at 2tb and smaller and they multi partition fine. And work fine too…support here is great.