3tb Essential now Unknown and Not Initialized

I’ve had this 3tb (model #WDBACW0030HBK-01) since August (didn’t install the smartware) and it was working fine until last Saturday, It no longer shows up in My Computer. It does show as Unknown and Not Initialized in Computer Management, if I try to Initialize the disk i receive an error message of “The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.”

I’ve performed many different troubleshooting methods, swapping ports (reinstalling the drive and drivers, usb 3.0 etc.) it usually has the light on the front fast blinking but sometimes it’s a slow blink. I’ve also tried many suggestions in this forum, most partition managers do not see the drive, (Partition Find and Mount shows it as “WD My Book 1140 USB Device” with a size of 0kb and no partitions. It also shows in the safely remove hardware and Devices and Printers and as My Book 1140.

Device Manager shows WD My Book 1140 USB Device/Properties/ Volumes show:
Disk: Disk 2
Type: Unknown
All sizes are reported as 0MB

I recently installed Smartware onto my main (not wd) harddrive, if I hover the mouse over the taskbar icon I see “My Book Essential USB HDD, 0%  used” but if I go into the Smartware program the drive isn’t listed. I have the SES driver installed.

Data Lifeguard results:
 Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WD My Book 1140
Unit Serial Number: WDC-ROM SN# XYZ-
Firmware Number: 1003
Capacity: 0.00 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 15:30:36, October 27, 2011

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 15:30:42, October 27, 2011

Test Option: WRITE ZEROS
Test Result: COMPLETE
Test Time: 15:31:03, October 27, 2011

Note the serial number XYZ-, I doubt that’s right.
Also tried installing Ubuntu and it never found the drive anywhere, drive does show up in my BIOS.
Easus Partition Manager doesn’t show the drive, neither does Test Disk.
HD Scan for Windows shows it as WD My Book 1140 -11 (Firmware 1003, serial 11)

I don’t want to lose the data on the disk but I’ve been unable to find anything that will format the thang, also read that I’m now unable to remove the drive and put it in a new enclosure due to encryption, this hd was a replacement for a failed WD drive.

Kindly reply if you have any ideas…

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Hey Man!! I have EXACTLY the same problem!!

Have you manage to solve it??

I am really desperate :S

Thank you very much!!

I’ll add to this list.  hopefully somebody will find a reply.  Bought this My Passport in mid December - downloaded information from a dying laptop, which could see the drive.  Now trying it on my new machine and I can’t get to any of the data.  The drive is shown as Type: “unknown” and status “not initialized”.  However it IS initilized and was format before use.  The data was readily readable/writable on the old defunct laptop. 

Have wasted a lot of spare time over three weeks trying to get the thing to work.  Currently extremely disappointed with WD.

MalBa

Just wanted to reply with a status update, I contacted WD’s Technical Support as suggested by the 2nd post.

They suggested that I try to upgrade the firmware on the drive, I tried that but the procedure failed miserably. They also suggested running the data lifeguard software as an Admin on my machine but that also didn’t work.

The last suggestion was to just return the drive to them (it’s under warranty) but I still haven’t done that.

Hi…Just wanted to know if you were ever able to find a solution to your problem.

I’m having exactly the same issue and was told to return the unit to the store for replacement.

I’m hesitant on doing this as I’m sure there is a solution and since it worked once as soon as I bought it, I don’t relish the idea of giving a hard drive with all my personal data over to an unknown.

If you found any hidden gems of wisdom I would be most grateful

Chris

Dear ChicagoCoin,

Most of those who post in anonymous forums such as this rarely include such as extensive information as yours: you are to be commended!

Nonetheless - and regardless of the detail aforementioned, as well as the Smartware aspect - if your hard drive is hardware encrypted, I would humbly suggest the following:

DIAGNOSIS: Faulty USB port (soldered connection(s) within the external case: drop(s), slip(s), fall(s)… normal plugging/unplugging…)

This weak link is the endemic fault  within the 2TB/3TB external “book” series… check the numerous postings by Joe_S and fzabkar , as well  as hddguru.com for more extensive/detailed information on this problem…