3TB hard drive will not play video files that play perfectly on the 2TB hard drive

I have just bought a 3TB WD external hard drive. I am a video editor. I have thousands of video files that are currently backed up on two 2TB WD external hard drives. I tried to make another backup on the new 3TB WD hard drive but once I copy the video files over they will not play from the new drive. They all play perfectly from the existing two 2TB drives but any video files I copy to the new 3TB one refused to play. I returned the 3TB WD hard drive to the store and got a replacement but the SAME THING HAPPENS!!!

Is this a design flaw with the 3TB hard drive? I do not have any issues at all with the two 2TB ones but wanted to upsize. Is there something I can do to fix this? Would reformatting the 3TB hard drive do any good (I saw something about 2TB+ hard drives needing partitions??) Or should I just return it to the store again.

1 Like

How are you using the 3T drive for playback? Is it attached to a PC or some video device? I think some of the video palyers may have a 2T limit. You might try posting in the TV section if you are using it something other that a PC to view.

Joe

Hello. I just had the same issue, I’ve been looking around the web for a solution without luck…

here’ s the problem, i moved my video collection to the 3 TB my book essential, and now I’m unable to play the files, but if I transfer the same file back to the computer’s hard drive or another external drive I’m able to play it with no problems.

the PC is running on windows 7,  also tried on a newer computer with i7 proccesor, and an older one with win XP, tried upgrading the WD software, the drive’s firmware with no luck.

also filed a tech support request but two weeks has passed and still no answer from WD, the reason i bought the drive is to keep my video collection and it’s useless if I can’t play back the files.

WD please solve this issue, I’ve seen more complaints about the same problem.

thanks

Nick_vrx wrote:

Hello. I just had the same issue, I’ve been looking around the web for a solution without luck…

here’ s the problem, i moved my video collection to the 3 TB my book essential, and now I’m unable to play the files, but if I transfer the same file back to the computer’s hard drive or another external drive I’m able to play it with no problems.

the PC is running on windows 7,  also tried on a newer computer with i7 proccesor, and an older one with win XP, tried upgrading the WD software, the drive’s firmware with no luck.

also filed a tech support request but two weeks has passed and still no answer from WD, the reason i bought the drive is to keep my video collection and it’s useless if I can’t play back the files.

WD please solve this issue, I’ve seen more complaints about the same problem.

thanks

Have you try using a different media player like VLC?

what error message do you get when you play the files?

does not sound to me like a drive issue …