3 TB My Book not being seen as a bootable drive for OS install

I was wondering what that GPT garbage was… LOL… I just tried to install Zorin again without my internal drive being installed… this time it did install grub and it seemed that the install finished properly asking me to reboot to use it -but my system still would not read the drive of course… now i know… cus of this GPT garbage. ( i saw the OS was installed under GPT in Mini Tools Partition wizard from win 8 and wondered about it)

You say WD drives above 2 TB’s need this GPT stuff… what about other brands? There has to be some that do not, there are tutorials all over the net where people install Linux on the 3 or even 4 TB external USB drives…

er… So… your telling me i need to get my money back for this drive and buy another thats not WD - which one do you suggest ?

Edit, Scratch that last statement… I just found out it’s a limitation of the Legacy Bios MBR itself. Thats why WD is using GPT.

[quote]Most legacy systems built before 2011 have a traditional PC BIOS. This type of BIOS uses a Master Boot Record (MBR). The MBR Partitions can define a disk drive capacity up to 2.2TB. Windows operating systems that boot from an MBR are therefore limited to 2.2TB per MBR.[/quote] http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218619en

So the trick is not another brand of 3 TB external drive of another brand, I’d have to get at most a 2 TB drive. It won’t need to use GPT.

So remember folks… No 3 TB externals will Ever work to install Linux onto

(except perhaps unless your using UEFI instead of legacy Bios - which I haven’t tried cus UEFI doesn’t play well with most Linux distros - my goal was to have 3 100 gig partitions each for a different linux distro and I won’t be able to do that with GPT even under UEFI because i’d be limited to a few select Linix distros.)

Thats ashame and **bleep** bad cus i got this 3 TB’s worth of space for only 109 including shipping.  I’d have to find either a 2 TB and a 1 TB for the same price total to do what i need to do.

Suggestions?