1TB WDH1U10000 external harddrive

Hi

I have a 1TB WDH1U10000 external harddrive which is not formatting properly f I use full format in Windows Vista. I know it has a lot of bad sectors from before if I check it up with WD Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. The disk will quick format without a problem to one of the different file systems for Apple Mac, for example exFAT and my intention is to use it as backup disk on my MyBook Pro for Time Machine.

• In Windows Vista

Quick test in the WD Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows fails, but I think that’s because my disk doesn’t really support the SMART function, but I’m not sure.

I have started the extended test now on WD Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and it’s in progress at the moment.
I have to wait approx. 30 hours for that to complete.

• In Mac OSX Mavericks

My question is, how do I get totally rid of all the bad sectors if the full format and extended test doesn’t work in Windows, because only a quick format doesn’t get rid of it? The reason why I can’t setup a backup with the Time Machine is because it fails under the progress of backing up after a few minutes on my MacBook Pro and because of all of the bad sectors.

Hi there,

Its always good to write zeroes on the unit that way you can make the unit isolate the bad sectors on the unit. 

Hi

But do you suggest Quick Erase write zeroes or Full Erase? I’m not sure if anyone one of them will work…