Trying to connect 1tb passport essential se to ps3

finaly i know how to use this stuft!!!

I bought this item solely to transfer content quickly off my computer to be viewed on my Ps3. At first the drive wasn’t working in a USB 3.0 port on my computer. Took me about 15 minutes before I went to my motherboard manufacturers website and saw the USB 3.0 driver. Installed that and it worked perfectly. Transfer rates were a pleasant surprise. I knew it was going to be faster than 2.0 but I was shocked by how much. It typically transfers at around 87mb/s give or take, and can read a 4gb file in under a minute! The hard drive itself is small, quiet, and expensive looking, plus the USB 3.0 cable was included. WD did a great job with this product overall. It was exactly what I needed and for only $100.

Now then, for those of you who intend to use this on your Ps3, pay attention. 2 things are required to make this bad boy work. First you’ll need some third party formatter like swissknife to reformat the drive to FAT 32. Pay no attention to people who say you have to do a local format for a partition, not true. Just format the whole drive to FAT 32. This will not effect the transfer speeds in USB 3.0 either. Secondly you will need a powered USB hub! This is the key to making the hard drive work on the Ps3. You can buy them anywhere, they are about $15 and you’ll know the difference because it will say AC adapter included on the package contents. The Ps3 USB port can’t support the power that an external HDD requires thus purchasing one of these hubs will alleviate any complications. Plug the power into the wall, the USB end coming out of the hub into the Ps3 and plug your external HDD into your hub. Done, you can know use your external HDD on the Ps3.

1 Like