My book studio lx took a dump

Actually, its  a friend’s box, it fell, to the best of my knowledge, was not powered up at the time.  He plugged it back in and the unit sparked.  Unplugged it, gave me the hard drive.  I put it in my Mac tower running 10.7.5.

I get a message that the drive is not recognized, do I want to initialize, I ignored, tried Disk Utility, sees the unit but not the partition.  Diskwarrior, same thing.

Listened to the drive spin up, no funky sounds, appears to be running smoothly, just can’t read the partition.  

My question is, is there some sort of specialized  WD software that must be running in order to read the partition?  Is the only way to test is to have it in a my book studio lx box?  

User’s job depends on getting the clips off this unit.  If necessary, he’ll send it off to DriveSavers and most likely pay 3 grand for the priviledge.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

regards

ken visser

No software needed for the drive to work

looks like the partition is corrupted, if you have exhausted all options ( different cable, different computer, powercycle, driver update ) data recovery is next