Am i filling up all my space with duplicates exponentially multiplying each back up

****i think this is a better explanation, am i duplicating every file each time it backs up and now i have a duplicates of duplicatess of duplicates growing exponentially more massive each time it does antother backup, i feel like its become a data black hole becoming gravitationally infinite from sucking down the same files over and over, can i just keep the last backup and vamoosh the older twins? ok go ahead and laugh if this sounds as stupid as i think, i jsut bougt a macbook with only 80g hd and im gonna be selling my g5 with 250g hd so i need to just keep whats necesarry on the wd hdd since i wont have all the space im used to so, ok my drive is full but i have at least 10 previous backups saved on it i dont know if i only need to keep the most recent backup and  delete all the older backups or are they all together, i cant imagine ive got enough **bleep** to fill up a 250g hd and another 500g external heres the files that come up when im in the folder with the wd info if it helps and sorry if its just a whole page of useless info, thanks for any help

Derek

Mofostone.com

Ok :smileyvery-happy:, are you using time machine or Smartware or another program to make the backup? Another question why not delete the duplicate files yourself?

1 Like

thanks for the help, i believe im using both and the second question is what i was asking, is it ok to delete those old backups? i didnt know if i could delete them, it seems obvious but i didnt know if each one of the old backups were equally important and have the same data, youre saying i can delete all but the most recent backup right?

thanks again and kudos to you

Derek

Don’t waste space on the hard drive using two backup programs, because you will be backing up the same information twice. Don’t know a lot about Time Machine, but smartware will create only one backup folder and wont repeat the same information. Just explore that hard drive and delete anything that you don’t need.

1 Like

So i guess smartware thinks its only backing up once time machine is stacking them up multiple times & smartware just saves what it thinks is necessary
Makes sense
Thanks alot
Derek
Mofostone.com