What To Do if Drive Crashes?

I have a passport drive that my daughter used on her Mac and it is not reading anymore.  I would love to get the data off the drive, but I am just at a loss now.  Is there some software out there that can crack into this drive to get my data off?  Is there a service out there I can ship the drive to to get the data off?  Does anyone here have any experience getting data off of a drive that appears to be dead?

Hello,

If the drive is spinning and shows up in Disk Management (Windows), or Disk Utilities (Mac OSX), but cannot be accessed, then the drive’s partition table is most likely damaged or corrupted. It may be possible to still extract the data utilizing data recovery software. Western Digital does not provide data recovery software. However, there are several kinds of Data Recovery software available. If you do a web search for Data Recovery it will yield plenty of data recovery software options.
If the drive does not show up in Disk Management (Windows), or Disk Utilities (Mac), and you have tried all the troubleshooting options relevant to your drive, then your drive has most likely failed and you will need to contact a data recovery company to retrieve your data.

Western Digital does not provide data recovery services. However, we have a list of recommended preferred data recovery partners that you can use for data recovery services.