WU2Qxxxxxxxx has a problem

I have a 2TB My Book device (2 x 1TB) configured as RAID 1 HFS+, it is connected to my 2011 Mac Mini (running OS X Lion).

Recently I’m getting periodic message notifications saying “WU2Qxxxxxxxx has a problem. Run WD RAID Manager for more details and contact technical support for help.”

When I do run WD RAID Manager everything is always fine.  Tempurature Condition: OK, RAID Status: Healthy, Disks A & B: Good.

So I’m at a loss as what to do…should I be worried.  These errors certainly aren’t giving me any confidence.

BTW, I’m running WD RAID Manager 1.1.3

Also I’ve just noticed that in the OS X Menu Bar, the WD application also shows “WD Drive Manager v2.2.6” which is greyed-out, in addition to the “WD RAID Manager” option.  Are they separate applications?  I can’t remember exactly what I installed!

I think you should call WD on this one… And start backing up your files, you never know when you’ll get a drive failure.

1 Like

Yes I think I will :slight_smile:

I have three WD RAID drives (WU2Q series) for my small Mac network, starting with a 2TB drive I purchased in 2009 and a 4tb purchased in 2010 and 6tb purchased in 2011. WD Drive Manager randomly reports separate problems with the drives and the menubar icon will turn red about every three months. I used to get worried about this but after dismounting and remounting the drive(s) the problems go away and WD Drive Manager reports all the drives are OK. The original reason I bought the 4TB was to back up the 2TB and have some extra left over. I regularly save and retrieve files from all three drives and despite the random warnings, have not had any serious problems with any of the drives.

I’m not saying that in your case the danger of lost data isn’t real, but this post comes up high in a Google search for WD problems and I want to let others know that if the menubar icon doesn’t remain red after rebooting a drive and you see GOOD reported  in the manager after a reboot of the drive, your data is probably safe.

Currently I use the 6tb to backup the 2tb and 4tb drives, which are backups of my various Mac internal drives. Keeping my fingers crossed…