WD my passport not mounting on macbook

I am having teh same issue. My mac is not ‘seeing’(recognizing my passport.  Need advice on waht to do urgently

Does anyone know if this is going to be fixed anytime soon (or at all)?? I have so much stuff I cannot access.

1 Like

Just chiming in, my ext diskdrive has done the same thing.  Updated to 10.10 Yosemeti and it has stopped working. Ill monitor for an answer.

I am having a similar problem. I upgraded to Yosemite and then when I tried to run a backup my MacBook Pro wouldnt recognize that the My Passport was connected. I can see it in Disk Utlility and have run a repair and verification, both result in a disk running properly message. The 1 TB WD My Passport says it is mounted seems but there is a little icon underneath called disk2s10 that is not mounted and will not mount. 

The light is on and I can hear the My Passport working. 

Same problem for me

my unit (Thunderbolt Duo) was switched off for a couple of months (it worked), in the meanwhile i uprgraded to Yosemite

now it’s seen as connected in system infos → THUNDERBOLT CONNECTION > My Book Thunderbolt Duo

it says Status : Device Connected

Link status 0x1 0x2

there is a fixed white led light always on

when i boot it up, i do hear a normal HD booting inside

but, BUT

it doesn’t mount in the Finder, in DiskUtility, in the terminal

i have sent a note to the support, i have zillion of photos in it.

let’s  see

I have been in contact with support.  They think that because my drive wasconnected during my Yosemite upgrade, it corrupted something.  I find that hard to believe but it’s plausible.

I have two Western Digital My Book Studio II (RAID 0) 4GB external drives and both were on version 1015 of the firmware.  One was connected via Firewire and powered on when I upgraded to Yosemite and the other was powered off.  The drive that was powered on during the upgrade will not mount in OS X 10.10 or on another computer I have running OS X 10.9.  But the drive that was off during the upgrade will mount on 10.10 or 10.9 just fine.

I first tried upgrading the firmware using the WD Universal Firmware Updater on my OS X 10.10 computer but there is a Java conflict that I couldn’t get past.  So I used my OS X 10.9 computer to update the firmware on both drives from version 1015 to 1017 which did not help with the mounting issue but maybe that will help someone else with this problem.

The engineer from WD had me check to see if the unmountable drive would appear in Disk Utilities and it did. However, the partition under the drive was greyed out and when I tried to Verify it, it failed.  I tried this on both OS X 10.10 and 10.9 with the same fail result.  The engineer then explained that it’s likely that the Yosemite upgrade did something to the drive.

After a few other troubleshooting steps, the engineer consulted with other engineers and came back with a free software license for “Easy Recovery 11” which after hours of scanning was able to locate all of the files on the drive and restore them to another drive.  Once recovered, formatting the drive made it possible to mount again.  

Clearly something happened to the partition on the drive during the upgrade that caused it to no longer mount.  This could very well be a problem with the Apple upgrade and not Western Digital’s fault.  I will not be leaving drives connected during future upgrades, that’s for sure!  First time in 20+ years I’ve had an issue quite like this.

If your situation is like mine where the drive is viewable in Disk Utility but the partition fails on Verify, you probably need to give up on drivers or a software update fixing this and make plans to recover your data and reformat the drive.  I suggest opening a ticket and then calling them at 1(800) 275-4932 (I think it was option 4).   

Best of luck!

John

2 Likes

here i found something about a person with a Lacie THUNDERBOLT hd not being mounted anymore after os x 10.9.4

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6434587

’  along with others I see online, indicates 10.9.4 has a bug with Thunderbolt connections. ’

Yeah, Swords, sounds like BS to me because my drive wasn’t plugged in when I updated and I still have the issue. (&Thanks for the info.)

i also have a Mabook Air

and the Thunderbolt drive was never connected to it

on that MBA i have upgraded from Mountain Lion to Yosemite

still it doesnt work there too (and iMac)

i also saw Drobo users with some issues on thunderbolt with Mavericks (not being mounted)

I have had a similar issue. I am using an iMac. I recently had a WD 3TB hard Drive replaced - TWICE in fact because the first failed after two weeks and the second didn’t work at all! This was the model with both FireWire and USB. I received a replacement Drive which is the newer 3TB USB model. Great replacement but…Unfortunately, it has compatability issues with Yosemite 10.10.1. I cannot set up the Drive Settings,  or use/find Backup or Retrieve in the WD Smartware. Smartware does not seem to recognise this Drive on Yosemite, and Yosemite does not recognise WD Smartware as a compatible version. I am awaiting a response from Western Digital who have thus far been very helpful on a personal one to one basis. Hopefully it can be resolved soon but the problem does seem to go round and round, backwards and forwards. It may be an issue with Yosemite of course, but is most likely simply that the two companies (Apple & WD) are not communicating - neither taking responsiblity for a patch or upgrade to the software. How many weeks or months will some of us have to be without backup?

no i keep getting a report that my WD is no longer supported by my apple since i upgraded to OSX Yosimate

Having the same problem. WD 2 TB My Book Studio worked perfectly until I upgraded to Yosemite. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Need to urgently retrieve the data that is on the disk.

I have recently received clear confirmation from WD that the MyBook Studio £TB is not fully compatible with Yosemite and that they have no known plans to create a patch as the last Firmware update was in late November 2013. Below is the response.

Thank you for feedback on your replacement.
To answer your first question, unfortunately Smartware is incompatible with Mac OS 10.10
We have tested this at our lab earlier today, to double-check this.
It is unlikely that a firmware update that makes Smartware compatible with Mac OS 10.10 will be available soon as the latest firmware update is from November 25th 2013,
but i can’t say this with certainty.

By any means you could still use Time Machine to back up your drives.
I have included a link that shows how you can retrieve files that have been backed up with Time Machine in Mac OS 10.10:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18837

Also you have the possibility to manually drag and drop files form your computer onto your drive ( drive can be found in "Finder’ ).

Not surprising that it’s a 10.10 issue, since my “My Book Elite” works when I boot under 10.6 and crashes the system under 10.10 Fortunately I wasn’t using it as a TimeMachine disc Unfortunately it’s files I need. I will keep watching and hoping WD issues a patch

I encountered perhaps a similar problem tonight.  I’m still running 10.9.5

My 2GB WD MyPassport was last successfully connected to my Macbook about two months ago (I use it almost exclusively for Time Machine backups).

I tried using it tonight but the main partition no longer mounts.  A small exfat parition mounts, but I can’t seem to fully verify that parition from disk utlities. 

Here’s how it looks via Terminal:

/dev/disk1
   #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
   0: FDisk_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
   1: Windows_NTFS ExFatPaws 200.5 GB disk1s1
   2: Apple_HFS Paws 1.8 TB disk1s2
cherbourg-2:~ xxxxx$ diskutil verifyVolume /Volumes/ExFatPaws/
Started file system verification on disk1s1 ExFatPaws
Error: -69673: Live file system repair is not supported
cherbourg-2:~ xxxxx$ diskutil mount /dev/disk1s1
Volume ExFatPaws on /dev/disk1s1 mounted
cherbourg-2:~ xxxxx$ diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2
Volume on disk1s2 timed out waiting to mount

Is this similar to the other mount troubles that people are having or are my troubles likely just due to the drive dying and/or being corrupted?   I never had troubles with the drive in the past.  I updated to 10.9.x months and months ago and did several successfully TM backups to the drive since that initial upgrade.  

It’s a portable drive and thus no ac adapter.  WD Support, please don’t just tell me to try a different cable or port.  In other threads people tell you those solutions don’t work and then you disappear.  

Unfortunately NOTHING worked, tried everything including WD support. Sadly I lost all my data and my extrenal disk was replaced as it was under guarantee.

I had the same issue. Unable to mount WD Passport  (1 TB , apple formatted) when using Yosemite 10.10.1.

Tried work laptop (windows), chrome book. Nothing worked. They tried an old MacBook Pro running 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) and hey presto ! the WD passport drives were recognized, mounted and opened without a problem. Bottom line, there is hope. Beg, borrow or steal a Macbook pro running 10.8.5 or similar (from a friend or a Tech Service firm) and you should be able to access your data. Hope this helps.

Same issue with my MacPro. Will there be a firmware link one day ? I did take my WD drive to Fry’s Electronics who has Macs running 10.8.5 and the drive mounts just fine. So should we not buy WD products in the future since **bleep** doesn’t work when you upgrade your OS? My OWC raid drive didn’t fail!!! Hmmmmm…

John, thank you very much for your detailed report.

I don’t think we should accept that WD drives can be damaged by a Mac OS update, and WD ignore it for months after the OS is released. This is not the first time this happens with WD drives. It is as if their products are not tested on Macs.

While it might not be the main OS on the market, Mac is a major system, used by millions of privates and professionals. We rely on WD drives to store our work and personal memories. We cannot accept they are gone forever because of incompatible software, not addressed for several months.

I own nearly all WD drives (six external and two internal), and one of them is currently not recognized by my Macs. I’m trying to understand if it is a software of hardware fault. What I know for sure is that I can no longer trust WD drives. I can understand a problem, but cannot forgive the repeated lack of care for the customer’s precious data.

Paolo

Is removing any WD software from the Mac a solution? If the drive is reformatted using Drive Utility, and you don’t use WD Drive Utility, are WD drives compatible with Yosemite?

Paolo