WD Smartware for My Passport Essential - Password Unrecognized

I have been using my drive on my Mac for more than a year. Always with the same password for unlocking WD Smartware. All of a sudden the drive has stopped recognising the password two days ago and now I cannot unlock the drive. I am 200% the password is correct and I have not changed it. Is there any way I can reset the password or erase the lock function so I can assess the drive? Thanks!

You may try using another cable and another computer.  If still does not work, and  you are certain that the password is correct, you may contact WD tech support.

I have tried on another computer - doesn’t work.

Will try using another cable and see - have a feeling it will not work too. I am certain the password is correct as it is something I have been using for the drive for the past 1.5 years and I use the drive everyday at work.

I have in the meantime emailed WD support two days ago but I have not received a reply.

As advised, I have tried (1) using my HD on two other computers, and (2) using a brand new cable. Both solutions do not work. I am still getting the “Invalid Password” message. in the meantime, I have received a message from WD telling me that since I have “forgotten my password”, there is no way but to reformat the drive and lose all my information and documents. That is unacceptable. To me, the drive is not heavily used (it is only used daily for document storage), it has not been dropped or used in a untoward manner. It seems therefore to me that is is a WD Smartware software fault. 

Again, I reiterate that I have not changed my password, and I had been using it since I have had the HD. All of  a sudden the HD just refused to accept the same password I have been using. Please let me know how I can bypass the WD Smartware program and kill the password function. I am sure there is a way.

Sadly there is no reset or bypass. The drive is hardware encrypted by a circuit board so removing the drive and trying it in another case or as an internal is useless.

Joe

I left my computer on over the last couple of days and have come back to the same problem as yours - I too have used the same password for the past 18 months, my passport hasn’t even moved from it’s location for the past 6… How does it not recognise the password.

I note this seems to be a common problem and am surprised that no one has been able to advise a solution WD, that does not involve a reformatting? I have far too much valuable data to reformat including family photos just downloaded from my camera and now deleted.

Please help!

i am having the same problem and its simply discussing that they cannot help. i have too many important data on my device and cannot afford to delete them. NEVER AGAIN WILL I OR RECOMMEND SOMEONE TO BUT ANY PRODUCT WITH THAT BRAND.  i honestly feel sick as i bought two for my research.

mega211 wrote:

i am having the same problem and its simply discussing that they cannot help. i have too many important data on my device and cannot afford to delete them. NEVER AGAIN WILL I OR RECOMMEND SOMEONE TO BUT ANY PRODUCT WITH THAT BRAND.  i honestly feel sick as i bought two for my research.

if you bought two you must certainly should have a backup

then replacing should be a no brainer

if you only had the files on one drive :confounded: that’s something else

did you try the steps already provided by the other users?

You may try using another cable and another computer.  If still does not work, and  you are certain that the password is correct, you may contact WD tech support.

I do have the same problem out of the blue, I used it every week to storage data and I do know my password.

And now it tells me my password is invalid! And support gives you no support! Never again WD!!

I also have the same problem I have extremely valuable information and pics I can never get back of my fam and it keeps telling me invalid password I am thuroughly surprised noone what so ever has come up with a solution to prevent data loss. It severly irks me to think I can loose all the hard work I have focused on a project I have been coding for 6 months now and all the pics of my kids I had backed up to the drive as well.