WD RAID Drive Manager Formats WRONG DRIVE randomly - My Book Studio II

While configuring a new RAID pair in a Mybook Studio II, it returned an error, failed to successfully complete the RAID and to my absolute horror an existing attached NTFS drive unmounted then remounted with the name “MyBook”.  This 640gig, NTFS drive was attached to my Macbook Pro 17 via eSATA.  No warning, no “are you sure”, no nothing it just created a new NFS partition on a randomly attached drive on a different port, unprompted, for no reason at all.

DO NOT CONFIGURE YOUR MYBOOK STUDIO II RAID DRIVE WITH ANY OTHER DRIVES ATTACHED.

I was in the middle of backing up that drive, or would have when the RAID had completed, and though I had a previous backup I lost several hundred hours and thousands of images for work. I can recover the files using data recovery software but only with the filenames… file0000001.jpg, file0000002.jpg and with 50,000 images for work on that disk is going to take forever to find the 300 critical images I need.

I will never forgive Western Digital.

Not much to do hear then say sorry to hear that

I have not had problems like that but seems possible the Raid manager will “manage” other drives