WD MyPassport Ultra 2TB Does Not Mount But Passes All Tests

This is not exactly helpful.

I am highly technical and have a CS degree. Is there a manual or discussion about the processes these services use?

I have only used them in the past when a driver is physically compromised; I’ll leave mashing together parts from a donor and an injured drive to professionals, but any software based task I should be able to learn fairly easily.

This seems like a pretty common problem with these drives, and I feel like WD should explain what tools to use and how to use them the way data-recovery professionals would given the repeated discussion of the potential for “corruption.” I’ve never seen a drive which sounds so prone to this.

Unless the tools themselves are more than several thousand dollars, this should be a viable option. My guess is they’re almost all open source, just highly specialized so if you don’t know where to look, you’ll never find them.

Has anyone tried this recovery process themselves?

That said, WD Support is calling me, so hopefully I’ll get some direction. I just figured the community might have some aggregated knowledge or experience with this.