WD MyBook functionality on MacBook Pro

I think I have solved a similar problem which appeared intermittently on a new Mac Mini, running Mavericks OS. My WD drive is a 3TB My Book Studio. The drive worked fine for a few days. Then although its icon appeared on the desktop and its contents were visible, I got error -36 when I tried to save/copy files onto it. A techsupport person at Apple suggested reformatting the drive, but Disk Utility could not unmount it. On restarting the Mac, the problem had disappeared but reappeared later when the computer woke up from sleep. I had used the WD Utilities that came with the drive to password protect this drive, and suspected that the software might be the source of the problem, since another identical drive without password protection had been problem-free. During a time when the troublesome drive was working, I used the WD Utilities again to remove password protection, then reformatted the drive, created a new partition, and copied files onto it from a backup drive. The drive has worked perfectly for several days since, so I am tentatively attributing the problem to the WD Utilities software.