WD My Passport for Mac....how do I restore from this hard drive?

Hi I have recently had a problem in trying to restore my backed up data etc from my WD MY Passport…initially I tried to load Yosemite but my laptop simply froze, I could not even get into it, I took it to Stormfront ( from whom I bought the Mac ) in short they could not help…so they arranged to have it returned to Apple, they eventually managed to load in Yosemite and asked if I had backed up my laptop, as I had in fact I backed it up roughly every 20 days or so, they said they would have to wipe it and return it to factory settings, so I agreed. On return to me I tried to access my backed up files, but I had to provide the password to unlock the WD My Passport, and upon entry, all that I get is the current reset back ups. I can get into my old back ups which have numerous backup files dated from 2012 until 2014, but when I go into them there are files there but none that will allow me to restore the files…can anyone give me any ideas please???

regards

Tommac1

Hello Tommac1, welcome to the WD Community. Can you share the name of the backup program you used to backup your files? 

1 Like

Hi Jube104, thank you for replying to my post, as you can guess I am an old foggie, and I am not sure what programme you require, I simply plugged in  my WD My Passport external drive, then went up to the little clock like logo on the top right of my Mac and selected backup now…I did this every time the mac said I had not backed up for at least 11days or so.

If there is a way of identifiying the programme please help me identify it and I will then let you know…not much to go on, but I hope you can help, I had a lot of family photos in my iphoto programme that are no longer there and I would like to retrieve them and my sons wedding video from imovies. In both cases it appears that I now have the latest version of both these programmes.

Regards

Tommac1 

Hi again, it seems like you were using Time Machine to backup your files. Check out the following link to review the steps on how to restore your backup. 

OS X Yosemite: Recover your entire system

If you’re still unable to recover your backup, I recommend you to contact Apple support directly.

http://www.apple.com/support/