WD My Passport for Mac HDD is not mounting on my MacBook

I just purchased a My Passport for Mac. It’s a 500 GB external drive. It’s a USB 3.0.

When I connect the cord supplied with the HDD, then plug it into my MacBook the HDD spins up, an LED light flashes on the HDD, but that’s it. There is no icon on the desktop and when I check Disk Utility it does not recognize it, which means it’s not mounting at all.

I am running OS X Yosemite Version: 10.10.2

Can someone please help me?  :confounded:

Welcome to the Community.

Is your Mac equipped with USB 3.0 ports? If not, I’d recommend exchanging the USB 3.0 cable supplied with your WD Passport for a Micro USB 2.0 cable in order to force USB 2.0 legacy compatibility mode in case there is an issue with how the system is interacting with the USB 3.0 controller.

No, it is not. Where can I find such a cable? The WD Passport cord is different than most cords. One end is USB, the opposite I have no clue. It’s not a standard power connector I’m used to seeing or using. How can I find a similar cord that is USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0 that works with this HDD?

See if this helps identify the cable  http://www.wdc.com/en/products/resources/drivecompatibility/

Joe

Thanks, but it’s not helpful for what I’m looking for. I need a cable that’s USB 2.0 and will be compatible with my model of HDD. This article mentions some cables, but not for external WD HDDs.

Linkingman wrote:

No, it is not. Where can I find such a cable? The WD Passport cord is different than most cords. One end is USB, the opposite I have no clue. It’s not a standard power connector I’m used to seeing or using. How can I find a similar cord that is USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0 that works with this HDD?

The Micro USB 3.0 connector is backwards compatible with regular Micro USB 2.0 cables used my most modern phones, tablets, cameras and hard drives. A Micro USB 2.0 cable fits into the “flat” section.

Here’s what I’m dealing with ^^^^^. I need a USB cord similar with the connection on your left in the picture, only it needs a USB 2.0 connector versus the USB 3.0. Is that possible? Does WD have them?

I called two days ago to find out what options there were and I was sent a USB adapter that I can’t use. Or maybe??

Here it is.^^^^

So, what can I do?

**Update**

For everyone reading this or experiencing the problem I am.

I took the adapter WD sent me I pictured. I plugged it into the WD HDD power slot. I then plugged another cord I have for a different HDD into the adapter, which is a USB 2.0 cord. I plugged the USB 2.0 end into a USB slot on my MacBook. At first it did not work. I let it sit for two mins or so. I then unplugged it and plugged it back in, viola it mounted, I saw an HDD icon on the desktop and in the Disk Utility app. I’ve not tried to move files yet, but I’m confident it will work now.

To get the adapter call WD (800) 275-4932 and select the prompt for frequently asked questions. After a series of questions it will eventually get you to an option to request an adapter if you’re having suspected power issues. WD will ask your name, home address, phone number and serial number for your WD HDD. With that info they’ll send you the adapter within two business days and it should work for you like it did for me. Good luck!

My setup. ^^^^