WD My Passport for Mac 1TB and OS X Yosemite

@marcoie How did it go? Let us know!

@toadityakumar I don’t know of any permanent solution from WD as of yet. I’m afraid the “not mounting” is the most common problem with WD on Yosemite.

@mk202 Don’t worry, you didn’t waste your money. WD are very valuable hard disks, one of the best out there. That being said, there’d been the same frenzy when Mavericks came out. Incompatible, not mounting, not working properly…for a lot of people. The story is just repeating itself now, with Yosemite. WD is not good/fast enough at making its software compatible when a new Apple OS comes out, that is for sure. But don’t throw the disk away just yet, a solution will have to come… Yosemite has been out for a long time now, they must work with that.

@brian_lara Actually, I guess I’m one of the very lucky ones, my WD MyPassport works fine on Yosemite! One day I was just sick and tired of waiting after months of doubts and fears,  so I just plugged it in. Risky move, risking a lot of things. But it mounted, it opened, and my stuff was all there. And it’s been like that ever since, there have even been small updates to Yosemite, and none of them seem to have affected the compatibility. I do have the standard WD software installed on my WD drive (that’s usually what f*cks things up and creates problems), so I really really really don’t know why or how it is compatible with Yosemite for me. But nonetheless I fear everyday that it might end! WD needs to solve the problem, once and for all. So my personal situation is “solved” as long as it works, meh. Would like to know if I’m the only one?

@harian I am very sorry to hear you’re among those who had loss of files upon mounting on Yosemite. Even if I don’t think files actually get “deleted”, they must still be there I’m almost sure of that (I’m no expert, but I don’t think a software incompatibility can erase a disk at that level). WD doing something, that’s a though one. No one really knows… I had personally (sort of angrily) contacted them, upon the release of Yosemite, so almost a year ago now, demanding explanations and solutions. They told me the “testing” of their WD drives hadn’t even begun, on Yosemite. At that time…now I don’t know. I do hope something is moving, it would be really weird of them otherwise. I suggest you to directly contact WD and request explanations/anything you need…

Bottom line, I now personally find myself with a working WD MyPassport 2T drive, no idea why. So I haven’t contacted them anymore, it’s been almost a year now I don’t know what the deal is right now. I suggest anyone who has problems (the majority) to contact them, let your voices be heard loud. They must have done something in one year, some software update, some firmware update, testing…something! 

Now El Capitan is coming, I fear for my drive, that compatibility will be over. And it’ll be the same old story all over again, like with Mavericks, like with Yosemite. WD wake up.

I also suggest y’all refer to this thread as well, looks like the biggest one for these issues, and there are some “solutions” that users have tried (obviously go to the last page, there’s posts from 2015):  http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/External-Drives-for-Mac-Experiencing-Data-Loss-with-Maverick-OS/td-p/613775