WD My Passport for MAC is not mounting

All,

I’m running OSX 10.9.5 on a MB Pro Retna and trying to perform a routine time machine backup to my 2TB Passport.  It has worked flawlessly until today (my last backup was 12 days ago) but now my Mac can’t find it (I do see it in the Disk Utility though) in Finder nor can Time Machine perform a backup.  It powers on when I plug it in, but no backup process can start.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks…

Welcome to the Community.

If the hard drive is at least recognized within Mac OS Disk utility, then it may be possible to run a diagnostic or a partition repair via first aid:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/866/

Regards,

Thank you.  Here is the output from the diskutulity app, it looks fine to me:

Verify:

Verifying partition map for “WD My Passport 07A8 Media” Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition listChecking for an EFI system partitionChecking the EFI system partition’s sizeChecking the EFI system partition’s file systemChecking all HFS data partition loader spacesChecking booter partitionsChecking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsThe partition map appears to be OK

Repair:

Verifying partition map for “WD My Passport 07A8 Media” Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition listChecking for an EFI system partitionChecking the EFI system partition’s sizeChecking the EFI system partition’s file systemChecking all HFS data partition loader spacesChecking booter partitionsChecking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsThe partition map appears to be OK

Verifying and repairing partition map for “WD My Passport 07A8 Media” Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition listAdjusting partition map to fit whole disk as requiredChecking for an EFI system partitionChecking the EFI system partition’s sizeChecking the EFI system partition’s file systemChecking all HFS data partition loader spacesChecking booter partitionsReviewing boot support loadersChecking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsUpdating Windows boot.ini files as requiredThe partition map appears to be OK

INFO

Name : WD My Passport 07A8 Media

Type : Disk

Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

Disk Identifier : disk1

Media Name : WD My Passport 07A8 Media

Media Type : Generic

Connection Bus : USB

USB Serial Number : 575831314538335741313939

Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/XHC1@14

Writable : Yes

Ejectable : Yes

Total Capacity : 1 TB (1,000,170,586,112 Bytes)

Disk Number : 1

Partition Number : 0

S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported

Again, it still won’t mount or unmount properly.  Any guidance would be really appreciated

Any insight or guidance would be appreciated…

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Regards,

I am have a similar problem with My Passport Edge for Mac.  I recently updated to OS X  Yosemite (v. 10.10) and can no longer see my external USB HD in Finder.  The device shows up in Disk Utility and trying to run the repair utility does not fix the problem.  I have also downloaded latest Driver from the WD Download site.  

HD was working fine prior to updating to Yosemite.  Any ideas out there in the community ?

Thanks.