WD My Passport Ultra not being recognized?

Hi,

I bought the passport a few weeks ago, used it once then haven’t backed up in a couple of weeks. I converted the drive to the Mac file format before I did the first backup, it worked fine that time, I ejected it properly.

Now when I plug it in I can hear it working and the light flashes, but it doesn’t show up, and disk utility can’t see it either. 

The drive is plugged directly into the laptop (MacBook Pro running OSX 10.9.5) which is plugged in, so it shouldn’t be a power issue.

Tips? Suggestions? I don’t care if I have to reformat, it’s just a backup drive (not used on any other system), but I can’t get it to come up to be able to reformat it. Meanwhile though, I have no way to backup my laptop, and I also have no other Mac on which to test the drive.

Hi,

Are you able to test the drive on a different computer? maybe a different USB cable?

I just had the same problem now looking for a solution! One day fine…the next not recognised on any computer i’ve tried.

Really hope someone can help

Trying a Quick drive test on the WD Utilities program and that stuck on 90% for about 5 minutes…says it should take 2 minutes

Anyone with a solution here? I’ve used WD for 6 years now, I have a 1TB My Book that worked without problems for 6 years and now I bought one My Passport 2TB drive, used it without problems for weeks, but one day it stopped working and, same as Tiika, I can hear it working but it doesnt show up.

BTW, it works in my other mac, which has Mavericks (the problem is with a MBA running Yosemite, that had the same problem running Mavericks). 

Hope anyone pronounces here to solve our problem.

Managed to solve it, posted my messy steps in here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/My-Passport-Ultra-SOLVED/td-p/812117

hope it helps you.