WD My Book format help for Mac Yosemite

Please help here. I don’t know what’s going on. I can’t get anything at all to work. I don’t know what I am doing or where I am going wrong. Is there an update or a patch that I need for Yosemite? If not, can someone please walk me through how to get this brand new 4TB external I paid so much for to work please? Thank you so much in advance for your help. It is GREATLY appreciated!

If this is the first time that you are connecting the drive, you will need to reformat the drive to make it fully compatible with the Mac.

See if the following link helps with the instructions.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3865/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyMjA0NzgxNC9zaWQvRll4aVhiZG0%3D

Hi, I just installed Yosemite on my MacBook Pro (2011). I have a My Book Essential external drive with about 80 GB of data backed up on it. I can see the external drive on my desktop but when I click BACK UP NOW, it just stays in “preparing for backup” and nothing else happens.

I just went to the link and started to read the instructions. There’s a big warning which says:

Critical: The instructions in the article below are designed to help repartition and format a hard drive. This process is Data Destructive and cannot be undone. Once the process begins, ALL THE DATA ON THE DRIVE WILL BE LOST!

I don’t want to erase my external drive because that is the only place I have my data backed up. Does this mean I have to buy a whole new external drive? Or is there another solution?

thanks,

V

I, too can’t get my My Book for Mac working and in a Yosemite environment.  Been on WD tech support with tech 2Xs for an hour each.  At the end of it could drag and drop a doc to the desktop WD app.   Techs were certain it would then perform a full backup just perfectly and left the conversation.  Backup failed with message “Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder”.  I am at a total loss.