WD My Book for Mac Apollo 3TB on Windows 7

I’ve just been given a WD My Book for Mac Apollo 3TB (WDBAAG0030HCH-02) that was previously connected to a mac.  They never put one file on it but did do the set up initially. Now they have given it to me to try and use for my PC. When I plugged it in Windows automatically installed a driver called “Initio Default Controller Classic.”  I don’t know what this is and I can’t seem to find anything that will work as far as drivers.  There is a lot of stuff out there for the My Books if you can reformat the memory but I can’t even get my computer to recognize it as the right thing. Someone please help!

Thanks

I’ve never heard of this drive. Since it was for a Mac and is probably formatted for Mac Windows will not recognize it. I did a little search and don’t find it on the WD site. I’ll PM somebody to see what they know about it.

Joe

one thing that i dont like is the initio control chip that encrypts the data… if that chip of the enclosure dies you are :confused:

i prefer a external drive only lol

It just dawned on me messages about initio controler frequently mean a problem with the drive. Probably on the circuit boarb controlling the encryption.

Joe

1 Like

So is there a way to fix it or something so I can at least get it to show up on my computer as My Book? What if I took it to my friend’s mac and tried formatting or something?

Try it on your friends Mac that will show if it is a problem with the drive. Also when it’s hooked up to your Windows look in the Disk Manager and see if it shows there. Also look in the Device Manager and see if there are any yellow flagged items.

Joe

1 Like