WD Elements Portable is not recognized and locked!

Hey Guys, 

I’ll try to give as much details as I can.
My MacBook Pro wich is running on OSX Mavericks doesn’t recognise my WD elements anymore !!

My Hard drive wich I bought less than 6 months ago was perfectly working !! Once I plugged it in my PC and replugged it in my mac but everything was fine. It was still working on my MBP !! But now, when I plug it in the mac, it is not recognized !! It does’t show up on the desktop and neither on Finder !! But when I check the disk utility I find it there.It says that the available amount of storage is 0 Bytes but I haven’t filled 10% of it’s capacity yet. 

When I click on Repair Disk : Before “The Partition map appears to be OK” There is “Updating Windows boot.ini files as required” 

The Verify and Repair Disk Permissions buttons are not available.

When I click on the Partition Button on the Top I find :

Name : PASSPORT

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Size : 999,86 GB 

This partition contains a locked diskand can not be resized until it is unlocked.

And no button is clickable. 

PS : My WD Elements portable isn’t recognized on my PC either. I can’t find it on the disk manager at all !! 

Has anyone had this problem ? And does anybody know how I can solve it ?

Hello,

It seems the partition on the drive is corrupted or the drive was locked using a security software.

If you don’t have any important data on the drive formatting it should make it work again. Note this will delete all data stored on it.

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX

Hi again !! 

Thanks a lot for your answer but I had photos of a lifetime in there so your answer didn’t help me that much. Thanks though. 

Anyway I have solved the problem. 

I went to System Preferences then I clicked on Startup Disk. There I have found that the disk was locked and there was an UNLOCK button so I clicked on it, tapped a password I use for almost everything and there It goes.

PROBLEM SOLVED !! 

Thanks again for trying. 

1 Like

THANK YOU!  This solved my problem :slight_smile: I was going crazy…