WD Elements Automatically Disconnects

I have a WD Elements 2.5 TB USB 2.0 Hard drive. I have been backing up all my files (including very important pictures) on this harddrive for nearly a year now. Recently, when I plug my WD Elements into any one of the three MAC computers I have the disk automatically disconnects. 

MAC Disk Utility cannot repair the disk as it instructs me to back up what I have on the disk and reformat. I’m not sure how I can back up or even reformat a hard drive that never stays connected to my computer for more then 5 minutes at a time. 

I would really appreciate a solution as these files on this disk are VERY IMPORTANT. 

Thank.

Hello and welcome, 

Have you tried using another USB cable or connecting the Elements to another Mac? It is possible that the information is corrupted, you can try using a data recovery software to see if it allows you to scan the Elements, with the help of Google you can find several options. 

Thank you.

I have tried three different macs. The interesting thing is I can see the data on the WD Hard Drive but only if the hard drive is plugged into the electrical outlet directly (not into extension cords, etc). 

It doesn’t seem like corrupt data since I can access it until the hard drive disconnects itself. What are some common causes of corrupt data? Do you think it might be the AC adapter? 

I have tried using Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery and it is never able to complete a scan of all sectors because the drive disconnects. The is only stays connected for a few minutes at a time. 

Thanks a lot. (Here’s hoping I’m not losing 110 GB of important data) :( 

In that case it seems like the extension cord is not providing enough energy for the Elements to work correctly. If frequent disconnections happens, that could cause data corruption making it difficult to read the files. I would try getting another compatible power cable and always connecting the Elements directly to a wall socket.

Thanks very much.

I seem to be back in business. I am wondering however, if I should be backing up the entire hard drive and reformatting it? Would this add some value since it has been disconnecting frequently? I need my data to remain intact.

Thanks very much.

That wouldn’t be a bad idea, just in case, you can also run a test with DLG.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows  

Thanks.