gren957

WD Elements 2TB External hard drive BLINKING LIGHT Problem

[ Edited ]

Here is my shot in the dark. 

My WD Elements 2TB External hard drive is not working.  My MacBook Pro won’t recognize the device.  The tiny bulb is constantly blinking when plugged in.  Showing there is power, just not reading.

I’ve tested and swapped the USB cable and Power output, checked on a different computer and looked at Disk Utility, ALL with no luck.

I’ve had this external hard drive for less then a year and am still under warranty.  I’m looking to avoid a Data Recovery .  It’s expensive and not a flawless process. 

Anyone have a solution?

-Thank you

Honored Contributor
ThePizzaMatrix

Re: WD Elements 2TB External hard drive BLINKING LIGHT Problem

If the drive is not on disk utility and you've checked other computers and cables then there's not much to do other than data recovery or a replacement.

You are reading a ghost long gone.
Occasional Advisor
1ozz1

It could be the power supply although its showing its getting power but it could be lower than needed to

function correctly had this happen on another brand last year plugged in another power supply that met the specs with the right polarity plug and all was well.

Occasional Visitor
liam1234

hi.. i just got my external hard drive and everything connects e.g my usb cord and my ac adaptor ... but when this is all pluged in my light blinks and thats all that happends .. i have tried some stuff such as .. trouble shooting and the disk manager steps but none of this works.. on the disk manager my external hard drive does not show up even though its pluged in .. im really cconfused.. could anyone help.. btw im using windows 7 and its compatible with it !!! if you have solved this question could you reply .. help me !!!

thanks ..

Regular Visitor
prem143

Hi

I m having exactly the same issue..but Im connecting the WD 2TB to my dell inspirion Laptop , OS : Win 7

Tried all the following :

1. Different USB cables.

2. Different Power adapters.

3. Well tried connecting the WIndow server 2003

4. No sound that the device is detected, no sound in the hard disk either

5. Cant see in the disk management

.the 2TB is just  5months old and I have recently moved all my documents,movies,pics,music into the 2 TB..so please help  ( P/N number :WDBAAU0020HBK-01)

Occasional Visitor
edellzone

After less than a year with my 2 TB WD external drive with the same P/N number, I too get a blinkiing LED light and my Windows 7 is unable to recognize the disk. There seems to be some spinning of the HD when it is plugged in, but then it slows down to silence.... Now only the LED is blinking. Unacceptable :smileysad:  It was working for a few months without a problem :smileysad:. Any suggestions or have we screwed? What does the rapidly blinking LED light mean?

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Did you try moving the power supply to a different plug not in a surge protector? It might be the voltage adapter. If it's still in warranty try calling WD and see if they will send a replacement.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Regular Visitor
jmpaq

[ Edited ]

Hi from a WD newbie.

I have a 3TB model with the blinking light syndrome too!

Under diskmgmt it says that the disk must be reinitialized !

I dont really care about the drive but I need the data on it.

Is there any way to service this drive (service manual?)

or do I need a hacksaw to get at it?

thanks,

:smileyhappy:

Regular Visitor
jmpaq

[ Edited ]

Sorry for replying to my own email, I forgot to click "Email me when someone responds".

Actually I put my ear to the disk and it spins up to full speed, stays there for5 seconds then shuts down.

any ideas?

thanks

Occasional Visitor
jc2012

Hi there, I'm having the same problem with a 1tb drive, computer won't regognise it, light blinks, and i can hear it spin up when it first powers up.

Has anybody had any solutions as yet?

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD