WD Elements 2TB External hard drive BLINKING LIGHT Problem

I also had the problem with a 2TB disk.  I didn’t try to get it replaced by WD as the backp data and yes it was a duplicate backup is confidential data that I would rather trash the disk than allow it into others hands.   I took the disk out of the case removed the circuit card and mounted it inside my destop.  I had to reinitialize the disk which of course meant the data was lost but the desk appeared to be working at least at first.  I went ahaead and attempted to copy the data over again from the original source but after a half hour or so the disk copy failed saying the destination could not be found the disk had dissapeared from teh Windows 7 64-bit OS.  A reboot brought the disk back again but this has repeated iteself over and over at the msot a half hour of copying files then the disk just dissapears.  I was able to do a full surface scan of the disk and it didn’t reprot any erros but you start copying files and the disk jsut goes away…00  I suspect there is some component on the disk circuit board that fails when it gets hot and that only happend with continous use.  And yes the disk is placed in a well ventilated portion of my desktop case.   IT will be a while before I buy another WD disk.  Who is the most reliable disk manfacture seems to go in cycles at one point brand A as new models come out they may have a lemon series and it might become brand B.  I’ve worked with computer since the days when my first 20MB and yes thats MB not GB hard drive cost me $500.    Put that in a Leading Edge Model computer with an 8088 processor a cyrix math coprocess had about $2,500 tied up in that first PC and that was 1986 so that would be a lot more in todays dollars.