WD Drive Manager doesn't work on Mac OS X LIon 10.7

Hi,

The WD Drive Manager seems to crash on the new OS Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion).

Tried to resinstall, the icon appears and then disappear.

So we can’t monitor the RAID status… :frowning: that’s the big problem. 

It may not be cpmpatibe with thar version on Mac. This has happened in past.

Joe

Dude, it’s near impossible for a software that has not been updated since 2009 and has problems on Snow Leopard 10.6 to work properly on 10.7 Lion. If you don’t have an older Mac running Leopard 10.5 then you’re out of luck.

PizzaMatrix is both right and wrong.  the wd drive manager is not compatible with lion.  you will need to have a system running 10.6.  sorry, Pizza, but the wd drive manager should be compatible with snow leopard (10.6).

Hi!

So far it seems that the Drive Manager, in fact, is not working. But you can start the WD Raid Manager directly out of the Library. It is located in the System library under Application Support. 

The Raid Manager starts perfectly fine and it seems it is working correctly. So under Lion you can monitor your RAID. What I do not know, is if you can manipulate the RAID configuration or if the Manager is crashing then. But as I have only one external HD full with Time Machine Backups I do not intend to try this out :wink:

I started an inquiry at WD because of the missing functionality of the Drive Manager…

Hope this helps.

1 Like

@BurningChrome

I can’t find the folder in the System library under Application Support - could it have another name? 

Have you heard from WD

Wayne wrote:

PizzaMatrix is both right and wrong.  the wd drive manager is not compatible with lion.  you will need to have a system running 10.6.  sorry, Pizza, but the wd drive manager should be compatible with snow leopard (10.6).

You said it quite well, the drive manager should work on SL :smiley:

fre_private wrote:

@BurningChrome

I can’t find the folder in the System library under Application Support - could it have another name? 

Have you heard from WD

Hi,

in the System Library under Application Support there is a folder named Western Digital. In there you will find the folder named WDDriveManager. In here is the WD RAID Manager app. If you do  not find it there try a search from a finder window. Go to the top level and type WD RAID in the search window. Then you have to refine the search by adding system data to the search by hitting the small + right beneath the search window. Then you have to include system files. You should see the RAID App at the bottom of the list.

WD replied to me, that they are testing at the moment. And of course that the Software is only guarateed to work on 10.5 and 10.6. If we are really out of luck, this could mean, that it won’t ever work on 10.7

Hope this helps.

Thanks, your suggestion did the trick! 

Thanks - i haven’t seen the WD folder - now I understand what you mean. I think that is a usable  work around. 

Ok so the drive manager loads and then drops but Time machine seems to be working. I was able to restore an older version of an ap successfully. My question is can I disable the drive manager from loading at startup without causing issues? I think it may be causing kernal panic crashes.

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Wayne wrote:

You said it quite well, the drive manager should work on SL :smiley:

hahahahahahaha.  I love that word “should.”  typical wd.

Running Mac OS Lion.

WD RAID Manager does work. However, WDDriveManagerStatusMenu does not work properly. You can run it and use it but it will shortly disappear from the menu bar. 

In the console, I see two relevant entries related to WDDriveManagerStatusMenu:

11-08-04 9:20:42.683 AM WDDriveManagerStatusMenu: CPSGetFrontProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.

11-08-04 10:24:04.541 AM ReportCrash: Saved crash report for WDDriveManagerStatusMenu[7419] version 1.0.5 (1.0.5) to /Users/Me/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/WDDriveManagerStatusMenu_2011-08-04-102404_Super-Mac.crash

A crash report is generated but I can’t upload attachments and I’m not sure if anybody from WD tech support even visits these boards.

Anyway, the status menu thing isn’t really important to me but it does show the remaining free space as well as the temperature for each drive. I have two chained together via Firewire 800 to my iMac (27" 2011 model). Useful but not a deal breaker.

As a work around, I just created an alias to WD RAID Manager and copied the alias to my Applications folder. From there, I can access the application whenever I want.

TwilightSparkle,

have you checked whether the WDDriveManagerService is running under Lion?

Under SF, in a terminal I can see two tasks:

$ ps aux | grep WD

timo      2107   0,0  0,1   492564  11948   ??  S     7:49pm   0:01.23 /Library/Application Support/WesternDigital/WDDriveManager/WDDriveManagerStatusMenu.app/Contents/MacOS/WDDriveManagerStatusMenu -psn_0_204850

root        54   0,0  0,0   143716   1148   ??  Ss    7:23pm   0:00.87 /Library/Application Support/WesternDigital/WDDriveManager/WDDriveManagerService

The first one obviously failing on Lion, but I hope the second one runs. Could you confirm this?

Best

Timo

I’m not an expert with terminal commands. But got the following lines after entering the one you provided:

root              53   0.0  0.0   672996   1888   ??  Ss   Wed11am   0:22.66 /Library/Application Support/WesternDigital/WDDriveManager/WDDriveManagerService

Me         8834   0.0  0.0  2434892    572 s000  R+    2:00pm   0:00.00 grep WD

Activity Monitor indicates that a process called WDDriveManagerService is running, same PID. So I suppose the service is running but the icon does not because it crashes? I’ve already removed the statusmenu thing from my startup list so I would assume the service would not show up when I log back in.

I’ve submitted everything prior to your reply I have to tech support but I’m not sure what to expect.

I’ve been “fighting” about that for 2 years with WD.

Basically, I was asking them to solve the bug leading to these warnings on 10.6:

WDDriveManagerStatusMenu *** attempt to pop an unknown autorelease pool

My last support call has been silently closed 4 months ago, while I was waiting for a development team answer.

Good hardware is not enough to make good products!

I finally gave up with WD Studio II and just bought a Synology NAS (loaded with WD green). They do support their products.

Ouch. That’s unfortunate.

I emailed WD tech support and got the following response: 

“Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is [Deleted]
Western Digital is still in the process of testing the compatibility of My Book Studio Edition II with Mac OS 10.7 (Lion). As of now we do not have an ETA for full support. As we complete our testing we will post updates to our support website: http://support.wdc.com. ”

Seems like they’re aware of the issue. Given your experience, I suppose I wouldn’t hold my breath on getting any results soon. Fortunately for me, the non working status menu is not a deal breaker for me. I can still access the RAID Manager so I’m Ok with that. I’d still like to see it fixed though.

WD has released an update to the driver:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/New-Update-WD-Drive-Manager-Mac-Version-2-2-6-8-15-11/m-p/240316#M199

I installed it under Snow Leopard and then updated to Lion. So far it seems to work fine, the WD Icon is visible and I can open the WD Raid Manager from the drop down menu.

Thanks Western Digital :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this problem supposed to be fixed?

I am using verion 2.2.6 (the latest as far as I can tell) and the wd icon is still only visible a second or so.

Also somebody mentioned that they can use the raid tool without the drive manager being accessible from the bar: How do you do that? How can it be started?

Western Digital released an update about a month ago that can be downloaded here:  http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=114&sid=62&lang=en

Fixed the problem for me.