WD 1Tb My Passport SE Drive random unmount

This problem is NOT solved as mentioned in another thread. Having to reformat the drive is not an answer to why this is happening. I have all my work on here which I shouldn’t have to pay to retrieve if this drive is faulty.The drive is 4 months old!

I posted a in-depth rundown of the problem on the Apple.com user board here:  https://discussions.apple.com/message/20081071?tstart=0#20081071

It seems that the firmware/SmartWare combination on drives like mine: WDBACX0010BRD-01 (WD My Passport Essential 1Tb USB 2.0/3.0 Red) cause problems where the drive unmounts itself with the standard Mac OS warning about unplugging correctly. There are fixes- like un-installing the SmartWare software and/or updating firmware but these need a stable drive to perform the actions. How can I make these fixes if the drive doesn’t stay mounted for more than 6 seconds?

I have tried ALL the troubleshooting routes- see thread on Apple.com posted above for a detailed overview.

Anybody from WD willing to offer an explanation? This is a serious problem.

Thanks for any help.

Stewart

Further to this problem. I have been able to view the directory structure in Windows (even though it is a Mac HFS+ format) with the aid of the Windows app ‘MacDrive 8’ by Media Four. This is the only way to view the directory structure as it will  not mount at all on my Mac

EDIT: have been able to access all data via Windows. Unable to re-format/verify/repair disc either on Windows with MacDrive8 or on Mac with Disc Utility as there is an unrecognisable fault on the drive. I am returning it as it is under limited warranty.

Well no answers forthcoming from WD either on this forum or via Twitter so I have requested an RMA from WD because there is obviously an issue with this drive. Whether that is a conflict between SmartWare software causing the ejects as documented elsewhere or faulty enclosure etc etc the drive is unusable as it doesn’t mount and is unviewable with Disc Utility either.

Just hope the replacement isn’t going to be a dud too.

Did you try applying the fix on another computer like Windows?

You can also update the firmware as this could be a firmware issue