Very confusing -- how to turn off the My Book Studio II?

I’ve tried the following way to turn off the Mybook Studio II, but still not sure which one is best, I’m using Mac and connecting with FW800 cable: 1.  Dismount the drive (by ‘Ejecting the drive’) on computer, the drive will get into standby mode (LED flash once per 4sec), then directly unplug the power. 2. Same as above but then press the power button at the back of the drive. The LED will turn off completely.  3. Just press the power button at the back of the drive (no dismount), I see the drive will dismount automatically then the LED will turn off completely. But the strange thing is even the LED is turned off, I heard the drive is still running. I had to unplug the power for ‘completely’ turn off the drive. And when referring to the user manual: ‘The Power button features Safe Shutdown, which prevents the inadvertent powering down of My Book until all data is written to the device or system. To engage Safe Shutdown, press the Power button once. SAFE SHUTDOWN is enabled only through installation of its driver, which must be installed on each system to which My Book is connected.’ But where is the driver I can download for installation? And if the computer is turn off first, the drive will go into standby mode. And if I press the power button at the back, the drive WILL NOT turn off but instead just flash for a while and get back to standby mode again.  It can never turn off completely. Any one had similar experience? Thank you vey much!

You may try installing the WD Turbo drivers and WD Drive Manager for Mac.  You can find the downloads here.

I don’t trust that much on the power button since there is chance it will remain on and I can corrupt the data by unplugging like that

to turn off the drive Eject > Disconnect Cable 

I’ve try this few days:  

Unmount the drive → the LED goes to standby mode (the drive seems stop running, no noise) → then press the power button → the LED turn off 

I keep FW 800 cable connected and the computer can still be on.

But when I turn on the computer next time, the drive will keep in off status (LED off, but strange enough, the drive has no noise and not running but it feels a little bit warm, don’t know why), then I can press the power button and the drive will mount by itself.

If this is the right way to turn off the drive, then it seems acceptable.

Hi Vadir,

I’ve already had WD Drive Manager for Mac.  But what is the use?  It doesn’t help in turning off the drive.

Thanks.

**bleep**