Very Poor Quality

I am writing to you today to express my dissatisfaction of your recent products. In 2011 I purchased a 2 TB My Book Elite WDBAAH0020HCH-NESN and a 3 TB My Book Essential WDBACW0030HBK-NESN. As of last night both of these drives are now unusable. Both drives will not be recognized in any computer when plugged into the USB port of both Mac and Windows machines and they cannot be reformatted. Since the warranty is expired on both units (1/8/2013 and 4/30/2013 respectively) I pulled the actual hard drive out of the case to attempt to connect it directly to a computer. Neither drive worked in this situation either. I also attempted to restore the drives by placing them in my NAS system (Drobo), and the 2 TB drive will not even be recognized that it is inserted and the 3 TB drive renders a FAIL on the system.
I have to admit that as a network administrator by profession, I have always used and touted your products to be a good quality, but with two of the four drives that I have purchased failing to the pain that data was lost, I am beginning to question your quality. I currently have two other 3 TB drives in my NAS that store over 580 movies, over 33,000 songs and well over 40,000 family pictures. Being that two of these drives failed, I am starting to think that I need to purchase a different manufacturers drive so that I don’t suffer catastrophic data loss. Luckily I do employ a NAS system that has automatic redundancy and didn’t loose any valuable data this time, but what will happen the next time.
So now I am stuck with 5 total TB of drives that are nothing more than a paperweight for my desk, and I am going to have to purchase a new drive to replace just over 3 year old drives because I have lost the ability to have full redundancy protection of my data. I just wanted to let you know that your recent products are sub-par and should not bear the Western Digital name.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at any time.
Thank you,
James Wood

James, 

Welcome to the WD Community.

I very sorry to hear abour your situation with the WD My Book drives.

Please note that this is a user to user Community not a direct WD Support venue.

My recommendation on this case, is to contact WD Support directly through the email or phone support to see if there’s something that can be done on your case.

WD Contact info:

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en%22