Use of My Passport with fire wire?

I have been using a standard WD 1TB My Passport Model number WDBACX00 (reformatted for Mac) successfully for several months as my Time Capsule with my Macbook.  However, it takes one of only two USB ports on the computer and doesn’t seem to function via a powered USB hub.  I’d like to free up that one USB port.

My general question is:  Is there some way I can connect this drive via a firewire port?

More specifically, I have a Firewire 800/USB 2.0 case, model PHR-S250UAB that will accept a 2 1/2 inch SATA drive.  If I were to open the case for my Passport drive, is what is inside a SATA drive that I could successfully move to my Firewire case?

Yup, if you use a normal USB hub the passport wont receive enough energy, you can try a powered USB hub and it should work. Technically if you take out the internal hard drive in the passport it should work in an external enclosure. Now I know that some passport models wont have a standard SATA connection. I don’t know if it depends on the model or if it can happens randomly, and of course if you open the passport that will void the warranty, so take that into account.

1 Like

Much thanks!  Problem solved, I think.  Powered USB hub seems to work ok.  I’l await the end of the warranty period before I tinker with the WD drive.