Upgrading My Book Studio II

I have a My Book Studio II 2x1Tb, i would like to upgrade the disks to move to a 2x3Tb.

Any link to instructions on how to do it, and, most important, to the list of WD compatible disk ?

Are the new WD NAS RED disk compatibles ? (i use this unit only for time machine backups, speed is not

very important).

Thanks,

Maurizio

1 Like

We recommend to update to a drive similar to the previous one that came with the enclosure.

The controller might only support that drive capacity.

You can get more information on how to replace those drives by contacting support.

1 Like

I also think there might be a problem changing drive sizes. Is it really that much cheaper buying 2 new HDs than a new My Book in the size you want? Also opening the drive voids the warranty.

Joe

Thanks for the information. I’ll contact the support.

Actually, opening the box should not void warrantie because is explicitly stated that the disks can be changed by the user; but the doc says nothing on the size; the product web site talk about user updatable disks, but what that means is of course ambigous :-> …

And yes, buying the disks is around half as expensive than a new complete products …

If i have a precise answer from the support i’ll report here :->

Maurizio

Hi,

I am having exactly the same questions as Maurizio for exactly the same hardware and capacities.

It seems I found the answer here.

So I will not upgrade my WD Studio II 2x1TB because it is not really made for it and the controller might not support it.

Unless a confirmation or firmware upgrade would explicitely mention 3Tb drive support I think I am soon going to sell this unit on the second-hand market… I will now go for an open product with some flexibility.