Update Desperately Needed for Yosemite

I bought a My Book for Mac 2 TB drive to be used with my iMac.  I run OS X Yosemite.  After trying unsuccesfully to get it to work with Time Machine, I contacted Western Digital and was told: 

“This drive is not compatible with Yosemite, it may be why you were not able to use it with Time Machine.  We extend our apologies for the inconvenience. In regards of your case, we do not have information on a release date for an upgraded firmware or driver for the Yosemite compatibility.  You may wish to join, and add to our Community Forums’ Ideas Lab at the link below. Our development team reviews these posts on a regular basis, to see the most commonly requested features by our customers.”

So there it is folks.  When is a fix coming?  Seems to me to be a pretty basic requirement to have an external drive named My Book for Mac at least be compatible with Mac operating systems.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community.

There are actually 4 generations of the WD My Book for Mac, which are distinguished by model number. If the device is very old then firmware development may have stopped years ago as with most legacy devices. I’d suggest sharing the exact model number of your unit so an idea for compatibility can be posted.

Hopefully it will gather enough support from the Community.

I also have a My Book for Mac that I received last year for Christmas so it is fairly new that has stopped backing up since I upgraded to Yosemite on my iMac. I tried running disk repair and it says it is a read only disk. I need this to work ASAP. This is my only backup at the moment and it’s not working. Any idea when this compatibility issue will be fixed?