Unlock.app

Hi all!

In an attempt to remove the WD firmware from my WD Passport Essential, I cannot unlock my drive. I have downloaded the virtual disk image (WDSmartWare_Mac_Disk_Image_PP4R2_1_3_0_18) , but the unlocker.app isn’t on there.

Is there any way I can unlock my drive, and hence mount it?

I already have the SmartWare installed, but my Mac can’t even detect the drive. So i am unable to go to the drive settings. It isn’t even present in Disk Utility or on a PC.

I followed the steps described on this page: 

http://www.marccizravi.com/2010/remove-wd-smartware/

But i could not complete “Step 2” since the drive at that moment had locked itself (with a code set by me).

Now I cannot detect the drive, nor unlocking it using the SmartWare.

I hope that you are able to help me. Lots of Kudos are waiting!!  :smiley:

Best Regards,

Wagner

you may want to contact WD about this.  that article was written back in 2010, and they’ve changed how the vcd works.  now, you won’t even see it unless you use smartware.  so, who know what you may have done to the drive.

Terrible mistake…

Disabling smartware while the disc is write protected is a big no no

there’s really not much that can be done besides trying to erase the drive

you can also run the VCD manager again to try to enable the VCD and unlock the drive

1 Like

Problem solved.

A friend of mine had an old firmware updator, and this solved the issue. Apparently, there was no firmware on the disk since the process of deleting the firmware wasn’t all complete.

Drive is unlocked and working.

Thanks for your help in this forum!

– Really dissapointed about WD Support. Haven’t responded at all on any of my messages. Will be looking out for other external drive manufactors next time.

WagnerDK wrote:

Problem solved.

A friend of mine had an old firmware updator, and this solved the issue. Apparently, there was no firmware on the disk since the process of deleting the firmware wasn’t all complete.

Thanks for your help in this forum!

– Really dissapointed about WD Support. Haven’t responded at all on any of my messages. Will be looking out for other external drive manufactors next time.

Good to know it’s working

bare in mind this is a forum for users so WD does not have to post here

there are other ways to contact WD directly and I think you already know that :robotwink:

I know. I used their support services, but no reply – until just a moment after my last post… what a coincidence

Some cheeky monkey from WD must have been reading the post :wink:

Hi,

Do you still happen to have the old firmware updator? I’m having the same issue here… Can someone also help to upload their copy of the driveunlocker.app so I can have a go at it please? Really appreciate all your time!

"A friend of mine had an old firmware updator, and this solved the issue. Apparently, there was no firmware on the disk since the process of deleting the firmware wasn’t all complete.

Thanks for your help in this forum!"

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Eddie

Try sending a PM to the user 

what’s the issue you are having?  

Downloading the unlock app will not work

did you try updating to one of the current firmware? 

Thanks Wizer, I will send a PM to the user.

My Passport Studo for Mac failed when I tried to upgrade my firmware. In fact, it didn’t even reach the firmware updating process, I was asked to unlock my drive and then it just hung detecting for the drive. Thereafter, the drive couldn’t be detected in my macbook or PCs.

Thanks for reading,

Eddie