USB logic board damaged 2TB HD P/N WDBAAU0030HBK-01

I have a WD Elements 2TB external Hard Drive, out of warranty

P/N WDBAAU0030HBK-01
S/N [[Deleted - Trancer]]

I tripped on the USB cable connecting the HD to my computer, I presume I have damaged the mini-USB input socket on the USB logic board, as data can now only be retrieved from the Hard Drive at a very slow speed indeed.

What I would like to know is that with this model (specs above), can the USB logic board be dismantled/taken out and replaced easily? It seems from looking on Youtube that certain models of WD Elements Hard Drives have easily removable USB logic boards from the actual Hard Drives themselves. Is someone able to tell me if the model that I have is like this, or is the USB logic board soldered permanently on to the Hard Drive and it is not recommended to remove it?

None of the computer repair shops I have spoken to here in Sydney, Australia have been very helpful in answering this. Hoping someone may be able to assist.

many thanks
Barry McKay
Sydney, Australia

Hello,

I don’t recommend doing this yourself since this can damage the drive even more. If you need to recover the data from the drive i recommend you contact a data recovery company.

Data Recovery