The sordid task of safe backups. SUCCESSFUL! WITH 2 EXTERNALS

LOTS OF PEOPLE MAY HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD POST THIS UP HERE DUE THE DIFFICULTY I HAD OF FINDING THIS ON THE FORUMS IN ONE SPOT. HOPE IT HELPS.

So I’ve been trying to nut all this out by myself with some helpful sneak peeks from various forums, learning as I go (somewhat frustrated at times though).

My early 2008 model iMac’s 250GB HDD finally was full, thanks to my lovely, but snap-happy wife who DOESN’T edit what she uploads onto iPhoto, and I didn’t even have room for the new iTunes download!!!

Got all starry-eyed at the MyBook Live, bought the 2TB model, had to buy a wireless router, (was cheating with an Airport Express), hooked it up. Then moved my iPhoto Library over, eventually…let’s say it took a while, 179GB worth over a wireless network…This is where I hit my first obstacle, scouring through forums, found that iPhoto HATES wireless, so that got boxed up returned to the retailer, thankyou OFFICEWORKS… Bought two Seagate 2TB Backup Plus units with the intention of finding and then buying the simple adaptors for Firewire…Now I’m quite impartial when it comes to makes and models, whatever works is good. But having had WD products in the past, they have always had EVERYTHING you need in the box. Not so Seagate. Bloody adaptors are next to impossible to find, even directly through them. Forums are full of disgruntled Mac owners. So needless to say, they didn’t even get the outer wrapping off them and I researched a bit more, traveled a 2.5 hr round trip to exchange once again with two 1TB MyBook Studio’s, FW 800 cable to my main external HDD and the FW 400 to the backup HDD. 

Like I said, new to this, been using USB 2.0 since I first had this computer. HOW GOOD IS FIREWIRE??? Can’t wait 'til I upgrade and try Thunderbolt…

Literally took a little over 2 hours to copy my entire iPhoto library over, tested it, sweet as a nut. (even seemed faster than the internal HDD, probably 'cause it was so cramped, had 1GB left)

Saw an older post relating to my next thing that wasn’t answered like this, but maybe someone else has it elsewhere.

Relating to Time Machine backup, to include to main external drive, had a bit of a play and trial. Just (-) the excluded drive through the option button after opening TM preferences, currently backing up my now semi-empty Mac AND the new external with the iTunes & iPhoto libraries. PHEW. That was long-winded but hoping to help someone out if possible. This was bloody annoying, especially over the new year period…Can relax now knowing that my music and memories are 100% safer than they were…

Thanks for sharing.