The drive doesn't appear on my computer for My Book Elite

Hello, I have a My Book Elite external hard drive model number WDBAAH0010HCH-NESN. It used to work fine on my macbook but after I had to unplug it without ejecting the disk drive into the trash bin (dont ask, long story) the drive won’t appear on my desktop nor in the finder window. The smartware still opens and I’m still able to unlock it with my password, so the app says, but no drive appears anymore. The physical unit itself used to show how much space I had left on a side bar window but now it doesn’t anymore. What should I do to fix this problem preferrably without wiping the drive clean? I already used my mac’s Disk Utility and it can’t fix it. Little help please.

Hello and welcome to the community,

Looks like the partition is corrupted. you might want to try a data recovery software in order to recover the files, but in order to make the drive usable again I believe you will have to format it. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it. 

I have a similar problem, but it will work fine on another mac. Is there some sort of setting that I am missing or have wrong on my mac?

samberger4 wrote:

I have a similar problem, but it will work fine on another mac. Is there some sort of setting that I am missing or have wrong on my mac?

try saving your information to another location then formatting the drive.