Storing a Raid 1 disc off-site?

I have a dual drive MyBook with two 2TB discs in a RAID 1 configuration. Various partitions, one for Time Machine backups and others utilised for storing other types of data - voluminous photo albums, etc. - for which these discs are the only backups - i.e. the files are not all on the computer. (The discs have the identical data on each, due to the RAID 1, of course.)

I want to be able to keep all this data ALSO off-site (in case of fire/theft etc), with periodic backups of all partitions.

I can easily replace ONE disc with a new empty disc, and the MyBook will (AIUI) autobackup to this new clean disc. The disc I just removed could then be kept off-site until the next periodic backup…?

BUT what happens with the next periodic backup to this removed disc, when it goes back in the MyBook?? I don’t understand what then happens, or doesn’t happen!! There will be files to add and files to delete.

Should the disc I am returning to the MyBook be wiped first? - If so, is that possible in RAID 1 set up?

Thanks for leading me through this! Yours, baffled…

Quick question mate,

Why don’t you get a passport or another USB drive and just copy the data as a second backup? I mean it’s seems to be a little bit easier…

Yes - I guess you’re right - I’d hope(d) to avoid having to get another whole drive if one replacement HD would do the job.

Took your advice - got a nice (I mean cheap!) enclosure for my spare empty drive.

Backing up furiously right now…!

Like you say, easier and will be worth the fiddle/small extra expense.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.