Smartware for Mac - Backup, Retrieve and Setup Drive Greyed out

Hi

I have formatted my Passport Ultra drive with exFAT and installed Smartware 1.3.7 for Mac on my Macbook Pro. I can see the drive and read and write files to the Ultra manually but when I open Smartware the Backup, Retrieve and Setup Drive options are not available.  This drive does backups using Smartware from my Windows 7 laptop so I do not want to format it using HFS and I definitely don’t want to use Time Machine for backups on my Mac.

I have reinstalled Smartware a number of times. Can you let me know the following:

1. Should Smartware for Mac display these options with no drive attached (ie. give an option for a network or local file share location)

2. Should Smartware for Mac display these options with the Passport Ultra attached seeing as it is visible to the operating system

3.  If this is not going to work can you recommend some 3rd party software that will allow me to backup to the exFAT Passport Ultra drive from my Mac.

Thanks 

Oli

Hello and welcome to the community,

WD Smartware for Mac is not compatible with the My Passport Ultra. The Passport Ultra only works with WD Smartware for Windows.

If you want to use the Passport Ultra on a Mac then you can use Time Machine or any other 3rd party backup software.