SmartWare could not see my drive under Drive Settings

I want to unlock My Passport drive using the Settings, Drive Settings menu of the SmartWare. However SmartWare could not see my drive for me to change the settings. The drive works because I am able to use WD Unlocker, enter my password, and view all the files in the drive. What do I need to do for SmartWare to be able to recognize the drive?

Drive settings do not appear in Smartware if the drive supports “WD Security” and “WD Utilities Software”, as I recently found out with my WD Book.

Check if either of those programs are under the supported software list for your dirve.

WD Utilities deals with Sleep timer, Diagnostics and Erase settings.

WD Security deals with password settings.

However, WD Security cannot remove your password if you forget it. You will have to do it another way, or reformat your HDD, the password will be removed then.

Best thing is it means you don’t actually need SmartWare unless you want to use it for backing up files (And there are far better programs for that to be honest)

GoldM123, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

SmartWare worked for my old Passport Essential drive to disable my password but does not work for my Passport Ultra drive. I downloaded the WD Security and it worked on my Ultra. My Apple laptop crashed doing a software update. I needed to disable the password on the Ultra drive to use Apple Time Machine back up software to revive my laptop. My laptop is now good but now the Ultra drive shuts itself down. After 20 secs it is connected to the USB port, it will shut itself down and its LED light will go off. I tried to do a firmware upgrade but it will stay on to the process. Any suggestions how to address the self shut down?

I resolved my problem. The problem of the self shut down was caused by WD Utility app update. Removed the Utility and Unlocker apps. Reloaded Unlocker only and restart computer. All is good now.