Second Time Machine backup via internet

Hi there! I use Time Machine to backup to my WD My Book Live 3TB. Now, I bought a second WD My Book Live 3TB to create a physically separated backup. I think of two solutions, but I can’t get them to work:

(A) Make Time Machine backup directly to the second drive. The drive is not in the local network and as far as I know Time Machine does not work via WebDAV or FTP. Does anyone have a solution?

or

(B)  Make the two Live Books sync. I thought it was possible using safepoints, but one drive doesn’t see the other because they are not in the same local network. How to do this?

Does anyone know how to solve this with either solution (A) or (B) or a new solution I haven’t thought of? Thank you very much!

Hello and welcome, 

Unfortunately there is no supported way to do an automatic remote backup, but you should be able to access the files in the remote My Book through the wd2go webpage and copy the files manually. 

Thank you for your reply.

So, the safepoints only work when the Live Books are in the same local network? Is there a way to make them ‘think’ they are in the same network?

Or, when automatic backup is not nessecary, is it possible to manually backup / mirror the full disk? 

Yes, safepoints are only meant to be made on the local network. You could look for third party programs that allow you to automatically backup the files from the remote public folder mapped using the WD2Go webpage, but I cannot guarantee that it will work, you can also copy the files manually. Check the link below for more information on how to access your My Book Live files remotely. 

How to use a My Book Live running Software Release 2.0+ with WD 2go for the first time