Raid Manager

I have a WD My Studio II which I configured in a RAID 1 array using the Western Digital Raid Manager on a Mac. Fortunately, I have not experienced any data loss. Is there a way to switch to letting OS X (Mavericks) manage the RAID 1? Is it necessary to reformat? Frankly, I thought that it was necessary to use the WD software. Based on what I ahve been reading, it seems as though OS X can do it natively. Therefore, I would like to switch. Thanks.

You do not have to use the WD Drive Manger / Raid Manger to configure the RAID. You should be able to setup the RAID in Disk Utility.

Thanks. Two more questions: 1. My Drive was already configured using WD Raid Manager. Is there a way to configure with Disk Utility without losing all data, or am I going to have to erase and partition the entire drive? 2. How do I set it up using Disk Utility.

If the drive was already configured you do not need to reconfigure it again unless you want to change the RAID. All you have to do is remove the WD Drive and RAID Manger. Please go to the following link for more detailed instructions if you need to reconfigure the RAID.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph5834

OK. So if I move the drive from one Mac, where it had been configured with RAID Manager, to another which does NOT have RAID Manager, does OS X simply recognize the RAID 1 Array? When I open Disk Utility, the Drive appears as a sinlge 2TB drive,  There is nothing to indicate it is being treated as two drives in a RAID 1 array? 

THe instructions you sent say to drag the two drives onto the RAID Array.  But, I only see one drive.

Finally, How can I verify that all data is being written to both drives?

Please check your private messages.

I have the same questions. Do I just unistall Raid Mamager, then what happens ? 

What happens if I then choose to update to OS X 10.9?

Do I clone the TM folder to another drive, then reformat using Apple Disk Utility and set up from raid there, then copy the folder back over to the My Studio Studion II?

Thanks 

Lynn

There are reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple’s OS X Mavericks (10.9).  Western Digital is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications. 

Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications on their systems before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading.  If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer. WD has removed these software applications from our web site solely as a precaution as we investigate this issue.

If you have already upgraded to Mavericks and are experiencing difficulty in accessing your external hard drive, please do not save anything to the drive, disconnect the drive from your computer, and contact Western Digital Customer Service at http://support.wdc.com/country/ for further assistance.

WD Drive Manager needs to be disabled on Mac OSX 10.9.X (Mavericks)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11005

blabc0 wrote:

I have the same questions. Do I just unistall Raid Manager, then what happens ? 

What happens if I then choose to update to OS X 10.9?

Do I clone the TM folder to another drive, then reformat using Apple Disk Utility and set up from raid there, then copy the folder back over to the My Studio Studion II?

Thanks 

Lynn

You do not need to reconfigure the RAID. All you have to do is to make sure WD Drive Manager is not installed on your Mac before you upgrade to Mavericks (10.9).

Sweet! Thank you for the clarification!

Regards

Lynn

Can you provide any infomation as to how to configure RAID using Disk Untility? I have 2 brand new 2Tb drives (unformatted) and they are only showing as a single  4Tb drive. How can I configure them to be a mirrored 2Tb drive?