Putting drives from worn out enclosure into a new enclosure

So it appears even though this is a situation that people have faced (based on reading other forums) no one is wise on how to put these drives in to a new enclosure (or which one I should get, if any).

So I contacted WD support and the official reply is that if I put these 2 perfectly good drives in to another case (even a WD one) I’ll loose everything…

Extracyt from official support email:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.  My name is ******* (redacted for privacy).

Our most sincere apologies for this, I do understand you situation and I’ll be more than glad to assist you on this matter.

Unfortunately if you take the drives inside your unit out of the enclosure and put in inside another one the data will be lost as it will lose its raid configuration. 

The only way to recover the data from the drives at this point would be connecting one of them directly to a computer and running a data recovery software on it.

This makes me a bit sad, as I thought being a drive based on data security, the integrity of the enclosure or the eventuality of it failing would be something that would be taken in to account. they went on further to refer me to a local data recovery centre which was nice and I have no qualms with the support, but I think I’ll be looking for a external RAID case that uses a standard enough mirror config that allows for case swapping if the case fails before the drives.

just thought people might like to know this for any future reference :slight_smile: