Problem with My Passport Ultra and Macbook Pro Retina

Hi. I’m using OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 on a 15 inch MBP Retina. I’ve been using my 2TB WD My Passport Ultra hard drive since around February of this year. Earlier today when I plugged it in, the hard drive didn’t show up in my devices in finder. So, i unplugged and tried again. Still nothing. Then, I went to Disk Utility and found that the drive was there but the partition wasn’t mounted and is greyed out.

So i tried to verify / repair the disk but have gotten a couple different messages. One being "The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system. The other being “Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup”. This message has showed up more than any other. I’ve been able to get in and look at my files once to try to copy the files from the drive after a message popped up and said it “couldn’t repair the disk” but i “could still open or copy files on the disk but can’t save changes to files on the disk.” But I encountered an error that was something along the lines of “Operation couldn’t be completed because the item “…” is in use”. But the file i was trying to copy wasn’t open or in use by any program.

SO, I’m in pretty desperate need of some help with this. I have some very important files on this drive that I can’t afford to lose. A lot of it irreplaceable. Any help at all would be very much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

I recommend trying to access the drive from different computer or perhaps a different USB cable for the drive? Hope this helps you out