Passport for mac not appearing in WD smartware

Hi all. Yesterday I purchased a 1 TB passport for mac for my MacBook Pro. I have all the recent software updates. I installed the WD smartware application from the WD website. When I open it and the home tab is highlighted, only my macbook appears to be found. I have the passport plugged into my USB port but it just will not show up into the WD smartware app. I have tried to Google this problem but this website ( http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3828/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0MTE2OTcyMi9zaWQvWSp5ZngzKms%3D)) is the best I’ve found. It was not helpful because I do not have any other drives present to even pick from. PLEASE help…This is what I see…

Did you run the installer from the drive or just downloaded from the Web?

Check if the drive shows the installation package, if the drive was partitioned you’ll need to recover Smartware from WD’s web

make sure the drive is showing on the Mac desktop

Besides updating the software, the firmware needs to be up to date as well

1 Like

Thanks for replying! I ran the installer from the drive and then when it didn’t work, I downloaded it from the web. I tried the link you attached and the same thing happened. The smartware shows only my macbook and no drive to back up to.

Is the drive been recognized by the Mac? 

Is there any reason why you need to use Smartware and not Time Machine?

I prefer using the latter since is build specifically for Mac computers