Passport Air reformatting for Mac and PC, still can't use in Windows

I have a MacBook Air 2012 and a WD My Passport Air and I have formatted it in Disk Utility to MS-DOS (FAT), but the drive doesn’t work in Windows; every time I try, the Set-Up Wizard comes up to try and look for and install the right drivers. I then tried to reformat the drive to exFAT using the WD Utilities driver/app and when I tried to use it in Windows again, it was recognized better and came up as a drive at least, but Windows said it still needed to be formatted. When I plugged it back into my Mac a third time, I reformatted it using Disk Utility back to MD-DOS(FAT) which is FAT32 and should work in Windows, if I understand correctly. Once in this format, I noticed that in the WD Utilities app it identified the disk as HFS+J, which I suppose explains why it didn’t work in Windows, but what is going on here? How can I reformat the Passport Air to be used in both Mac (my computer) and Windows (school’s computers)? Thanks in advance for your help

The following article shows the required steps to successfully format a drive for usage in both Mac and Windows.

How to format a WD external hard drive in FAT32 (to use in Windows or Mac OSX)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/291

I already tried that. Twice.

wl2262 wrote:

I already tried that. Twice.

Does the drive appears on Disk Management?

If so, what’s the status of the drive?

Make sure is not a connection issue.