Other USB devices not connecting since installing My Book

Since purchasing and installing this My Book external hard drive, any other externally connected USB devices do not show up on my iMac’s Disk Utility application. Nor do they automatically pop up on my desktop as they used to before installing My Book.

Thus, I’m unable to download books onto my Nook via my library. Nor am I am to get photos off of my camera card. I know that the devices are receiving power as they charge while plugged into the USB port.

The only change I made was installing My Book external hard drive. Which is quite ironic considering I bought it to backup photos which now I cannot download and edit on my Mac. Needless to say this is very frustrating. I’ve updating all of my iMac software as well as the available My Book software. I appreciate this issue being looked into further. Thank you.

I’m running OS X Yosemite v. 10.10

Hello and welcome to the community,

Are these devices recognized on the computer if the My Book is not connected?

Yes, these devices are still not found on disk utility when I eject the My Book.  I haven’t tried uninstalling My Book yet but I guess that’s my only option to be able to use my USB connected devices.  Even my jump drives no longer work.

Anyone?