MyBook Studio Raid problem

Hi-

I’ve run into a problem while trying to raid a pair of MyBook Studio drives on my Macbook Pro.

I bought a pair of 4 TB WD drives and am trying to use the Mac disk utility to setup a raid.  I first zero’d both drives (wrote zero to entire drive).  I then added both drives to a raid on the Mac OS disk utility (Mt. Lion).  When I clicked create, the OS went into what I read is “Panic mode”.  It cycled several times before I forced a power down.  I unplugged the WD drives and tried to boot the computer … nothing.  It appeared the OS was corrupted.

I was able to recover the OS and get the computer running – without the WD drives attached.  When I attempted to reattach the drives … it went back into panic mode.  This happened twice.

Anyone with an idea what has happened to cause this?  My only guess is that somehow the OS thought it was raiding the boot drive with the pair of external WD drives.  I did not include the boot drive in my raid selection.

Any advice on how to correct this and setup the raid would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Hello, have you tried testing the drives using the Disk Utiltiy? You might also want to contact Apple support directly to verify if 4TB are supported. Follow the link below to review the steps to create a RAID setup.

How to test a drive for defects or problems on a Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2559