MyBook Studio LX/Repeated "Disk Not Ejected Properly" Error Messages

I’ve been dealing with a lot of the “disk not ejected properly” error messages on my iMac (mid-2011).  I’ve got it connected through Firewire.  I’ve tried using both ports, the USB port, wiping the drive and starting over, I’ve checked for firmware updates and I’ve disabled the drive’s sleep timer through WD’s software.  I’m at a complete loss as to what is going on.  I’m hoping to find some assistance here. =)

I also wanted to note that I’ve also have had trouble getting it to re-mount randomly after it randomly ejects.

could be a bad drive or lack of drivers

try downloading the  turbo drivers

Wizer wrote:

could be a bad drive or lack of drivers

try downloading the  turbo drivers

I did try that but a little message popped up and said “these drivers are already installed” and asked if I wanted to continue. So I thought it best not to do it. Lol. Should I have done it anyway?

not necessary then… 

Make sure the drive is connected to the wall instead of a power surge…

Hi - re “Make sure the drive is connected to the wall instead of a power surge…” Please may I ask why? Is there a known problem with powering external drives via power surge protectors? Thanks.

Well, it appears to have been a bad drive.  WD sent me a replacement and that didn’t work so they sent me another.  I hooked it up and right away, a message popped up and said there’s a firmware update available.  So I proceeded with the update and the update failed…killing the drive.  So this time WD sends me a different model all together and after about a week, so far so good. =)  I hope it stays that way.